Monday, January 23, 2012

Coloring Inside the Lines

Do you ever struggle with teaching a child how to stay within the lines when coloring? Coloring inside the lines can be a tough skill to teach, especially if the child has visual motor or perceptual challenges. One technique that I've found to be helpful is to provide a tactile "cue". Just take some clear Elmer's glue or a hot glue gun and outline the edges of the picture. This provides a nice tactile "ridge" that the crayon will "bump" against when the child is coloring.  I've found that it is also helpful to glue the coloring picture to a poster board to keep the child from ripping the paper while coloring.

I also like to teach the child how to color in small circular strokes rather than using large back and forth strokes, as this gives them more control. First I demonstrate how to do this, then I move them through the motions with "hand-over-hand" guidance, then I let them give it a try with verbal and gestural prompts. This takes a lot of practice, but they eventually get it!


1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I do a similar activity using Wikki Stix, but sometimes they slide around. Fabric paint works well too!
    ~Abby
    www.pediatricotblog.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete