This adorable "cat scratch toy" is a fun craft for kids. It's fairly simple to make, and it requires fine motor skills and dexterity, which make it therapeutic! Anyone who has a kitten or cat will be motivated to make this for their pet.
Materials Needed: Various buttons, Styrofoam mold (pictured: sphere), colorful pipe cleaners, and a hot glue gun.
- Begin wrapping pipe cleaners at the base of Styrofoam applying glue as you go. Use caution with the hot glue to prevent burns. Provide close supervision if a child is a assisting.
- You may wish to alternate colors.
- Thread several pipe cleaners through the holes of the buttons.
- Once the ball is completely covered, take the pipe cleaners with the buttons and stick them into the foam.
- Twist the pipe cleaners into any shape or angle that you prefer. Ta da…you’ve made a fun toy for your cat!
Therapy project by Caroline Dickey: Posted with Permission